Cemetery Bell Will Ring Again!

The distinctive Cemetery Chapel that sits at the entrance to Stapleford Century has been undergoing extensive refurbishment. This beautiful listed building was gifted to the people of Stapleford in 1880 by Mr Joseph Fearfield and the bell, (above), was cast in 1885 at the John Taylor Bell Foundry.

It has been many a decade since the bell has rung but thanks to a generous donation of nearly £7,000 from Stapleford Town Council, (the total cost of this phase of the refurbishment works is £8,318), the Bell will ring again!

The Bell has now been removed for refurbishment by the company who originally supplied it, 133 years ago. Once reinstalled, it is hoped the bell will ring 12 bells at midday each day and may also be used as part of burial services and events.

Broxtowe Borough Council has been undertaking various restoration works at the Chapel since 2010, including demolition of the 1950’s extensions and the reinstatement of the trefoil windows where they had been removed for extension access. 2012, saw the chapel roof repaired and in 2014/15 the mortuary roof and Notts Ogee cast-iron rainwater goods and spire were refurbished and failed stones replaced, along with the renovation of the remaining ironwork.

Stapleford Town Council is delighted to work with Broxtowe Borough Council on this exciting project and be part of bringing an old and valued building back to life.  The Bell will be rehung later in 2018.  So, when you hear the bell at Noon, remember that the Town Council was responsible for bringing this artefact back into the Town’s everyday life.

For more information, regarding this project, please contact Broxtowe Borough Council on 0115 917 3820 or email estates@broxtowe.gov.uk